Earthquake is geologic process that takes place on Earth’s crust. It is sudden motion or shaking in Earth, caused by the abrupt release of slowly accumulated strain.
The destructive effects of earthquakes are from landslides, tsunamis, fires, and fault rupture. The violent shaking of the ground produces the greatest property losses and personal injuries.Earthquake dangerous
- Ground Shaking: is the vibration of the ground during an earthquake. The shaking triggers other hazards such as liquefaction and landslides. Most earthquake damage results from the seismic waves passing beneath buildings, roads, and other structures.
- Surface Rupture & Ground displacement: is the primary earthquake hazard. It can be caused by vertical or horizontal movement on either side of a ruptured fault. It can affect large land areas and can produce severe damage to structures, roads, railways, and pipelines.
Surface Rupture & Ground displacement
- Landslides: earthquakes can trigger landslides and mudslides, especially in areas with water-soaked soils. Landslides may result in falling rocks and debris that collide with people, trees, animals, buildings, and vehicles. They also can block roads and disrupt utility lines.
- Liquefaction: can undermine the foundations and supports of buildings, bridges, pipelines, and roads, causing them to sink into the ground, collapse or dissolve.
- Fires: caused by earthquakes are the second most common hazard. Earthquake fires start when electrical and gas lines are dislodged due to the earth’s shaking. Gas is set free as gas lines are broken and a spark will start a firestorm.
The 10 largest earthquakes in modern history
- Destruction: earthquakes can shake houses off their foundations, turn soil to liquid, and cause landslides.
1 / 3 • ANTI-Earthquake Bed
The idea is to make a bed that contains Earthquake (Vibration) Sensor, when it senses the presence of an earthquake or any other danger, it closes to protect the sleepers in it, so that if this earthquake is strong and led to the collapse of the residential tower, the residents will be protected and brought out from under the demolition safely.
This bed helps to achieve human safety, especially in Japan and China, because of the many earthquakes there.
Project objective is to protect people from accidents caused by earthquakes such as house collapses.Prototype costs
- The bed can be made in more than one design.
- An oxygen tube and some food will be added to this bed for emergencies.
- An external camera can be added to know the external environment.